Why Repurpose Heirloom Textiles?
Let’s start a conversation about this!
There are dozens of reasons to repurpose. Some are general and speak to every cherished heirloom textile that is languishing in a closet somewhere. Some reasons are very particular to an antique quilt or table linen due to its creator, her intentions, and the textile’s unique story. For us at Heirloom Couture, some reasons emerge from watching tiny, perfect hand stitches fly past our sewing machine foot, or we discover a thoughtful detail that speaks eloquently of the creator’s artistry – or quirkiness.
Here are some of our reasons for repurposing heirloom textiles into art clothing. We invite you to share reasons that occur to you. Please email them to us so we can share them with others by adding them to this web page. There’s so much to say . . .
Some HC reasons for repurposing:
- All too often, a stain or a tear relegates a beautiful work of art to a closet. Repurposing, if done well, showcases the artistry, the vitality, of the piece that endures.
- Heirloom textiles are usually of a fabric quality and workmanship that far exceeds what is available and affordable in modern clothing.
- The time and attention built into to handmade textiles embue them with a vitality and grace – love? – absent from machine-made textiles and clothing. They remind us that value comes with time and attention.
- Repurposing puts century-old art before new eyes and to new use. It brings a piece into your life and out into the world.
- Clothing made from inherited textiles bring our ancestors into our daily lives and activities.
- Repurposing heirloom textiles takes unique, and one-of-a-kind to new, rarefied heights. HC works small miracles that are fun, surprising and elegant.
Now, please tell us what you think: why repurpose heirloom textiles?